Updated on 10/16/2018, Clarifications to the dress code are written in italics.
To present a positive appearance at C.F. Richards, and to prevent distractions from the learning environment, each student is expected to be neat, clean, and appropriately dressed. Parents, please help your child follow the guidelines below. School staff will have the final say regarding what is acceptable in these areas. Students not complying with the dress code will be asked to follow the procedures outlined after the code.
NOTE: These guidelines apply to clothing worn for PE classes and at recess, as well as any other part of the school day. In addition, students should follow the C.F. Richards Dress Code at any school sponsored event.
Avoid offensive language, symbols or pictures on all clothing. Clothing should be neat, clean and free of tears or holes.
- Must have sleeves—including PE clothes. No cut out shoulders or holes.
- Blouses, collared shirts and neat “un-collared” shirts
- Graphics on shirts should not be commercial—no movies, TV shows, video games, sport companies etc.
- Small commercial logos are acceptable (2” x 2” or less)
- No cleavage or revealing tight shirts
Pants and Skirts
·All pants (including jeans) or skirts are to fit properly.
oTight jeans (pants that cling to every part of the body) or jeggings may only be worn under a top or dress that is no shorter than 4 inches above the knee (just like leggings).
- Pants may have elastic waist bands, snaps, or zippers and should not be made of athletic pant fabric*..
*PreK through Kindergarten students may wear play clothes that are made of stretchy knit fabric.
·Shorts and skirts must be no shorter than 4 inches above the knee
- The longer than fingertips measure we have been using has not been equitable. Please use the 4 inches above the knee measurement.
- Leggings and tight jeans may only be worn under a top or dress that is no shorter than 4 inches above the knee. If leggings are worn in PE, the shirt on top MUST fully cover the student’s bottom.
- No sports clothes, camouflage or leisure-wear (including pajama pants).
- Athletic pants including shorts may be worn for PE class only, students in grades 1-8 are given time to change for PE classes. Shorts must meet the 4 inches above the knee requirement (basketball shorts are generally this length).
- Closed-toed shoes with closed-heels or straps across back
- No sandals or flip-flops
- Shoes should be safe and practical for recess and PE classes
- Students are welcome to keep a pair of sneakers at school
- Hair should be well groomed
- Must not cover face
- No distracting hairstyles
- No hats or scarves indoors
- All clothing is to fit and be in good repair, no holes or rips
- No jewelry is to be worn to school
- Temporary tattoos are not permitted
Dress Code Enforcement
Every staff member is aware of the C.F. Richards Dress Code and is working to ensure that students understand and follow the requirements. The following steps will be taken when dress code violations occur.
1.The first time that a student is not following the dress code, he or she will be required to wear alternative clothing provided by the school (if possible) and will review the dress code with the teacher or principal. If alternative clothing is not available, the student will need to call a parent to supply clothing. Please wash and return any loaned clothing as soon as possible. A form will be used to notify parents when this has occurred. The form must be signed and returned on the next school day. A copy of the form will be kept in the student’s file.
2.The second time that a student is not in dress code, the child will call a parent to supply appropriate clothes. The student will remain in the office until appropriate clothing is brought in. A form will need to be signed by parents and returned. A copy of the form will be kept in the student’s file.
3.The third occurrence will be treated as a disciplinary problem and the student and parents or guardian will be asked to come meet with the principal to develop a plan to for dress code compliance.
4.PE Class– if a student is out of dress code for PE, he or she will be asked to change back into the clothes that were worn to school. If remembering to appropriately cover leggings with a long t-shirt becomes a problem, the student will be asked to only wear basketball length shorts or sweatpants for PE class.
School staff will have the final say regarding what is acceptable in these areas. Thank you for your help.